Looking for more pick-me-ups while staying in? Here are some more ideas to brighten your day – even your week.
In the Kitchen: Ways to Refresh Yourself
Make a Cocktail
When you’re at home, the feeling that it’s 5 o’clock somewhere – combined with no need for a designated driver and Zoom – means that almost any hour is cocktail hour. Particularly if you put a little juice in your drink. That makes it breakfast-ready, right? I’m not a big tequila drinker, so I tend to go with rum-based drinks. A recent choice? This Blood Orange Mojito.
Pop Up a Snack
While packaged popcorn can be a calorie-bomb, home-popped popcorn can be a relatively healthy whole-grain snack.
How to pop at home?
- Place ¼ cup of popcorn kernels in a brown paper bag (no one is packing lunches right now, anyway!) and add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Shake to coat all kernels in the oil.
- Fold down the top of the bag – but do not seal – and place in your microwave.
- You can use the popcorn setting, if you have one, or just set the timer for 3 minutes and listen for the popping to slow to once every few seconds.
- Err on the side of less time than more, of course.
Cold Brew Some Coffee
If you haven’t gotten on the “whipped coffee” bandwagon, here is a simple, straightforward alternative to making a trendy coffee drink at home.
- Simply place 1 cup ground coffee of your choice into a quart mason jar (you can use decaf if you’ll want to drink the finished product later in the day).
- Fill the jar with filtered water, stir and cover. Let rest at room temperature before pouring through a coffee filter (or pressing in a French press).
- The resulting coffee concentrate may be enjoyed hot or cold, diluted with more filtered water, or any milk or cream product you’d like.
- Store any remaining concentrate in the refrigerator.
Bake Some Churros
These recipes have been flying around as Disney-philes find themselves without a beloved treat. I just love that I can get a favorite – delicious – comfort food – without frying. Dorothy Kern’s recipe at Crazy for Crust is a great starting point, but you can modify a bit. I experimented with chilling the dough before baking (worked great – the recipe makes a ton!) and also with my air fryer (worked great – but needs way less time- watch them closely).
You need this in your life. It is like magic – a no-thought-required “recipe” to make nearly every food in your pantry sing with flavor. Season meat or fish. Toss potatoes before roasting. Saute green beans, carrots – or just about anything else – with a healthy pinch. Use it in this easy onion dip. You’re welcome.
It’s like FaceTime or Skype, but you can leave a message for friends and family with this free app. This is particularly helpful when checking in with folks in different time zones, or with complicated schedules – yours or theirs (#autismmomlife). I’ve been using Marco Polo with my Color Street team for years – and now more and more friends are using it.
Human+Kind Body Mousse
It’s like showering with a cloud. Light, fluffy and gently cleansing. I love the Tropical Splash (of course!), but just ordered the Grapefruit to try. A perfect treat to turn your shower into a mini-spa treatment.
A great low-key way to moisturize your lips and add subtle color to your next Zoom call. Several sheer options to choose from – and Pro Tip: most Honest Beauty purchases ship free.
The one accessory that almost everyone can see right now. Make a statement in your next video conference with these stunning, handmade leather earrings. Or looking for a little pick-me-up to show up in your mailbox every month? Subscribe to Uncommon Creations – an extra special, handmade item each month (and you can pause or cancel at any time).
You know how you aren’t supposed to have a favorite child? It’s kind of the same with our dozens of shades of Color Street. I generally tell people my favorite is whatever I happen to be wearing at the moment. This spring shade is going to make me a liar.
Please note, Color Street is working to manage meeting a growing demand for these amazing nail strips while implementing full physical distancing and other safety procedures. In the short term, please explore your options here and then order from me directly.
Want other self-care tips? Check out my free self-care survival guide here.