Nail care and nail health are important aspects of self-care. These nail care tips will help you maintain your nails – and keep them looking gorgeous as well! Not only are your fingernails visible to nearly everyone you see on a daily basis, but they also protect the skin of your nail beds. Are you taking the best possible care of your nails? If you know you could do better with nail care, here are some tips to consider:
- Are you drinking enough water? If you’re like many people, the answer is probably no. Your body’s overall level of hydration can have an impact on your nails too
- Vitamins and minerals: Biotin and other B vitamins top the list, but nails can also benefit from adequate iron, magnesium, and protein.
- Sunscreen and moisturizers – depending on your lifestyle, your hands may need more sunscreen than you think! And even if you are indoors from 8-5 most days, you may not be moisturizing your hands enough. Try this one from Sally Hansen.
- Cuticles: push back with one of these, rather than trimming
- Consider a nail strengthener, like this one from Nailtiques, if your nails are particularly weak
- Use a gentle remover- like Mineral Fusion, to minimize damage when removing polish
- Consider a foot mask to help you soften and smooth your feet.
- Exfoliate dry skin in the shower or tub, using a brush or mesh sponge
- Moisturize your feet regularly, wearing socks over the cream while sleeping if weather permits
- Over time, you may experience damage to your nails with gel and acrylic products. But it can be difficult to move away from those products without your nails feeling even more vulnerable.
- Using a nail polish product that does not involve heat or tools to apply or remove can help protect your nails while they recover.
- Color Street is a 100% nail polish product that has helped my nails grow and become stronger.
- Heat: Be sure the strips are at warm room temperature before applying – too cold and they can be stiff, too hot and they may become sticky.
- Order: Be sure to save your thumbs for last – they are your best tool for application.
- Time: I recommend applying Color Street nail polish strips at night and then letting them cure overnight.
- Be sure your hands are clean AND dry – and avoid plunging hands in water for 30 minutes after application.
- If you tend to have oily nails, you can try washing with a bit Dawn or other dishwashing liquid before applying.
- -If you tend to have dry nails, be sure to use a moisturizer before (but not immediately before) application, and consider using a nail strengthener like Nailtiques.
- Never peel off nail polish or nail polish strips – that can damage the nail. For more tips on nail polish removal, click here.
Are you ready to try some Color Street? Click here to shop.
Want more ideas? Come follow me on Pinterest here.